All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Dear Friend,

The Barna Research Group just recently published a study of the trends of Calvinism and Arminianism in the church in America. I thought you might find it interesting. I was surprised by it and found a stronger support of Calvinism than I supposed. While America remains mostly Arminian there are more that identify themselves doctrinally with Calvinism than I thought.

The trend of not identifying with either group remains a growing trend. I wonder if much of that is due to people just not caring anymore or have a less grasp of Scripture than what we once had. Interesting -

I am posting a small portion. You may access the entire report at:

http://www.barna.org/faith-spirituality/447-reformed-movement-in-am...

You may also subscribe to their e-mail here:

http://www.barna.org/

Some observers and journalists have described a movement among Reformed churches, pointing to prominent Reformed pastors and new
Reformed church associations as a significant trend. A new study from
Barna Group explores whether the so-called “New Calvinism” has, as yet,
affected the allegiances of pastors and whether Reformed churches are
growing.

Clergy Identity
For the past decade the Barna Group has been tracking the percentage of Protestant pastors who identify their church as "Calvinist or
Reformed." Currently, about three out of every 10 Protestant leaders say
this phrase accurately describes their church (31%). This proportion is
statistically unchanged from a decade ago (32%). In fact, an
examination of a series of studies among active clergy during the past
decade indicates that the proportion that embraces the Reformed label
has remained flat over the last 10 years. 

Pastors who embrace the term "Wesleyan or Arminian" currently account
for 32% of the Protestant church landscape – the same as those who claim
to be Reformed. The proportion of Wesleyan/Arminian pastors is down
slightly from 37% in 2000. There has been less consistency related to
this label during the past decade, with the tracking figures ranging
from a low of 26% to a high of 37%.

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought we are Christians...not Calvinists or Wesleyans or Armenians...Christians.
Yes,
No one here will deny that we are Christians and not Arminians or Calvinists. I am the first to acknowledge that. This is no new information. However, one does have a tendency to interpret Scripture in some areas differently than others. Anyone who thinks their interpretation is completely on is off in that thinking. The effort to study His Word is admirable, demanded and good. However, one should not study to prove one side of the issue rather to come to a better understanding of the position of Scripture. There is one thing that I am very confident of in this discussion. It is clear in Scripture that God has a people, a family that He has called out from this world. They belong to Him. They are His. He is going to save them. However, how He does that still remains somewhat a mystery to me. I personally lean more to the Calvinistic view but understand the other view. I see no reason to be separated in this area. Of course, none of us know for sure these things. However, we can know that we are called by Him to be one of His. I do not believe He wants us to be in doubt on that issue. That is of utmost importance.

Praise the Lord. Yes, I am a Christian.
Roy

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service