All About GOD

All About GOD - Growing Relationships with Jesus and Others

Rachelle Starrn was raised in a Christian home & had never been inside a strip club in her life. But she felt this calling from God to reach out to women in the sex industry. She knew that God had given her a passion for those women to know how much He loves them & how precious they were in His eyes. Whatever doubts, she knew God was calling her to take action. He didn't want her to just to feel compassion for them but to do something about it.

In 2008, she started Scarlet Hope, a ministry that reaches out to women involved in the sex industry. They take big, southern-comfort-style dinners to strip clubs. Their prayer is that they're not just feeding their stomachs but they're feeding a deeper spiritual hunger. In some clubs, they fix hair & make-up so they can get some one-on-one time with the girls. It gives them the opportunity to pray with women in the middle of the strip club.

She states that many hearts have been changed & lives touched & many turned to Christ for forgiveness &  new beginnings. She says she has seen Jesus show up many times in the back of a strip club dressing room. Many dancers opened up to them, sharing their struggles, asking for prayers, & some have even accepted their invitations to church.

What are your thoughts on this testimony? When I read it I must admit doubts flooded me. I know Jesus goes to the sinners but He didn't put their make-up on before prostituting themselves. Am I wrong with my feelings? No one knows the mind of God but do you really believe God would have them take such drastic steps to reach others? 

Views: 6021

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh ok Roy I see what you are saying now. I bet you thank God very day for not ever having a student as dumb as me.

Is there a reason why you just won't say that you believe in Jesus?

Maybe I don't really understand what believing IN Jesus means. I know there is the Jesus in the bible. I know satan knows this too.  But believing "in" Him. Im not sure if I do. But I know you are being kind and caring now. Thank you..... but really this isn't the right forum .

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. NIV

1 John 5:1-2
Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. NIV

1 John 5:5
Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. NIV

1 John 5:7-12
For there are three that testify: 8 the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement. 9 We accept man's testimony, but God's testimony is greater because it is the testimony of God, which he has given about his Son. 10 Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son. 11 And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. NIV

Janie,

There are only two positions in this world. We either believe in Jesus or we do not. There is no in between. God says that He sent Jesus into this world to get all His lost children. Those who have Jesus will never face the judgment. Those who do not have Jesus are bound for hell. It is that simple. I am just about completely positive that you do believe by the comment you posted that I referenced. I think that I can find other references in this forum alone that completely gives you away as a believer. I think you are one of us. You are one that He came to get. You are a believer.

Janie, thank you. I was also having a huge problem with the words "self-righteous" as well as the other ones you mentioned. I wasn't going to say anything but since you put it out there, I agree. I am in no way judging anyone. I just feel there is a better way to do it. That's my only judgement. 

Michelle,

Are you sure about that number? I couldn't find that.

Thanks, I wanted to make  sure no one thinks I was calling Amanda vicious. 

Thank you and bless you as well. 

There's one thing I've learned in life...you can please some of the people some of the time but you'll never please all of the people all of the time.  Therefore...time to stop trying.  LOL

I'm going to say a last few words then drop out of this.  Those who have their minds made up (including me) they are made up period...they're not going to change their views.  Which, speaking of Grace's comment on unity...it's ok!  We're allowed to have different views.  We are all in unity on Christ and the gospel message.  Whether or not we're in unity on what color of pants to wear today, what to eat, or how a ministry goes about winning souls....it's all moot and not a matter of the gospel for continual debate.  Even Paul said it is lawful to do anything, and he also said if you have no problems eating meat, good for you, but don't do it in front of one who may still be weak in their faith and cause them to stumble.  Therefore, it is lawful to walk into a strip club and assist a stripper with her hair and makeup in order to attempt to win her to Christ (to be in the world), but not lawful to help her to remove her clothes in front of men or to join her on stage and strip (but not of the world).  You can then say now go and sin no more.  If she chooses to go ahead and get up and strip, that was her choice, not yours.  You only helped her apply makeup in order to get close enough to share the gospel.  Would Jesus do that?  I do believe He would.  Mostly because Jesus was not so hung up on what appeared right to others so much so that he would even  join in a meal with sinners at the house of sinners in order to spread the gospel.  I think we can get caught up in so much (self) righteousness, as to whether this is lawful or that is lawful that we lose site of the goal.  What was this ministry's goal?  And did they reach that goal?  They didn't enter there to help the girls to sin, but to try and lead them away from that place and away from sinning.  What is the "heart" of the ministry?  We can "not" condone sin and yet still not appear to be holier than thou and say no way I can walk into such a place...it might look bad.  What if the Pastor sees me?  Judge not Pastor.  Hopefully you discussed with the Pastor before you made the trip.  I notice it's all women going in and they know to leave the men at home.  LOL 

Chip said he couldn't go into such a place....and God didn't call him to.  But this woman had never been in one, nor interested in one, and therefore, being there wasn't a temptation for her, which is why God may have called her to this.  We have some former drug dealers in our church.  One feels called to go to the street corners with their old friends and talk to them.  The other feels they'd be too tempted.  God knows this and did not call him to go do this, to be around it.  The other can be there and preach and is not tempted by it and has no desire for it anymore.

I think what LT said sums up how everyone should feel:  There are some who will disapprove of this type of ministry. If that is your view I would encourage you to follow your conviction and do not pray or support it. If you have no issue with this type of ministry and believe it has kingdom value you should seek to support a ministry of that type if your conviction is to get behind it in prayer and resources.

But I don't believe that anyone who feels it is good will change their mind or those who feel its wrong will change theirs.  But I do encourage people to look at the results, rather than nitpick the efforts.  To wash the inside of the cup and not just focus on the outside being clean.  We all make mistakes.  Maybe they made one, maybe not.  The end results however are what draw me to this being a good ministry.  If they were up on the stage stripping with them or helping them to strip, that would change my view, but we're talking about some hair and makeup, and that one too was explained as to have been something they no longer do. 

And LT, not knowing everything there is to know is not the same as having doubt in God.  Scripture doesn't record Jesus ever using the bathroom, but being a man in the flesh, I have no doubt in my mind that He did.  It won't help me to know if he went sitting or standing.  Sorry LOL...but that's the only thing that came to mind on this right now.  It's just to point out that just because we don't know EVERYTHING that Jesus said when He walked the earth, or every minute of His life, that things may have been written that were not included, that we have an incomplete picture of who He WAS.  In actuality, my idea of four is really no different than what you posed of three:  "no one found it worth recording this effort."  Or found it worth including from the manuscripts they chose to place in the Bible. 

Roy, maybe the word for Amanda you were looking for was vivacious?  LOLOL

Seek,

I have only one concern with your posting and leave the rest of your opinion alone, including your comments to me.

You have stated that on this issue that you are not teachable. I say this because you said "Those who have their minds made up (including me) they are made up period...they're not going to change their views." That is a dangerous place to be. We must always be teachable and willing to change when we recognize we have been wrong. There are a few exceptions to this rule with one being as an example that Jesus is our Savior and the only way to be saved.

It is one thing to have strong convictions and quite another to have our minds closed and not be teachable. I truly hope the second part is not where you are and what you really meant.

Lord Bless,

LT

It is one thing to have strong convictions and quite another to have our minds closed and not be teachable.

Exactly, teachable is one thing, but having made a decision as to whether you feel a ministry is good or not is having made your mind up to that issue.  I am teachable and in fact want to learn so much.  Yet unless God shows me that this ministry was a bad thing, I stand by my convictions on that issue.  Whole different matter.

But if new information came to light from Scripture would you be unchangeable because your mind is made up. Not picking, but concerned regarding how you have worded what you stated. I have no problems with someone having convictions ... if I did I would have to start working on me because I usually am pretty strong in my convictions, but trust I keep a teachable heart and open mind to where the truth leads even when it means admitting I was wrong and then aligning with where the new facts/understanding leads me.

RSS

The Good News

Meet Face-to-Face & Collaborate

© 2024   Created by AllAboutGOD.com.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service